Tuesday 2 December 2014

Baking Christmas Cookies in NL

I am now living in the Netherlands. Not yet officially, this will take place in two days. But I moved here with all my stuff (and when I say all my stuff, I mean 6 cubic meters of boxes filled with clothes, mountaineering (why?) and kitchen equipment) and am by now pretty much done with unpacking it. My bf is very much enjoying that I am obsessed with cooking at the moment; I serve him at least one nice meal a day and have some fun discovering the Albert Heijn supermarket in the city centre.

To complete my abilities as a housewife (how much more time will it take until I am completely bored by that?), as a Southgerman girl, I have the aspiration of being able to offer a selection of at least four different kinds of home made "Plätzchen" (small Christmas cookies) to every potential visitor. As it turns out, this kind of cookies is not well-known in Holland. Next to the obvious ones, one of the main ingredients are ground nuts. Mainly almonds (yes, I know, almonds are no nuts...) and hazelnuts. I have the idea that  - like most people - the inhabitants of the kingdom of the Netherlands like to snack roasted nuts. Finding raw nuts is already a challenge. But finding raw nuts which are less than 16 Euros per kilogramme is impossible! And forget about nut powder...

I went to a well-sorted store for kitchen equipment and bought this nice tool:

The lady in the shop was very friendly and even German-speaking, but she had no idea how to help me until I spotted the mill myself and ensured her that my Grandmother ("Oma") has almost the same.

After an odyssey through various supermarkets I ended up in a discounter and bought 1.2 kg of "notenmelange", i.e. a mix of almonds, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts (btw, who likes Brazil nuts?!?) and walnuts. I spend one episode of "Weeds" sorting them, Cinderella-Style ("The good ones go into the pot, the other ones also go into other pots").

 Tomorrow, the baking may begin! I will make Lebkuchen (gingerbread), Vanillekipferl (mini croissants made from short pastry), Anis-Blätter (experimental, anise leaves) and Napoleon's hats (technically sophisticated).
I want to be finished by Sunday, when our Sinterklaas festivities will reach a climax...

No comments:

Post a Comment